It’s seems as though the toothpaste aisle is getting bigger and bigger with more and more toothpaste options. This is not a bad thing, but it can definitely make deciding on which toothpaste to buy, a lot more difficult.
In this post Comfort Dental Centre will introduce you to the common types of toothpaste and what you should be looking for.
Important Elements of Toothpaste
Pastes, gels, powders – toothpaste comes in a variety of forms. But all toothpaste has just about the same ingredients that make it work, and work well.
- Abrasives—The most important thing toothpaste does is remove unwanted stuff from the surface of your teeth. Abrasives can help, but they can also damage your teeth.
- Detergent—Detergent is what makes toothpaste foam. This helps move particles off your teeth that water alone cannot.
- Fluoride—This mineral strengthens tooth enamel and makes teeth more resistant to decay. We will talk more about this in a moment!
- Humectants—These substances keep the paste from drying out, which is very helpful since you take that cap on and off multiple times each day.
- Flavour—Choose a sugar-free, but pleasant tasting toothpaste!
Your Friend, Fluoride!
Fluoride is a very important ingredient to look for when shopping for toothpaste. The naturally occurring mineral is responsible for significant drops in tooth decay over the past 50 years. When your teeth are exposed to sugars and foods that linger on your teeth, bacteria feed on them and make acid as a result. Fluoride strengthens teeth enamel and prevents tooth decay.
In most cases, fluoride is the single most important thing to look for in toothpaste!
These can help to remove stains from your teeth. Your teeth will achieve a more attractive look with the aid of agents like hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, which are present in whitening toothpaste. Abrasive particles present in the toothpaste lift stains by polishing the surface of your teeth.
These toothpaste are far less effective, however than the professionally applied whitening treatments available at Comfort Dental Centre and can be more abrasive than regular toothpaste. They also cannot affect deep stains, nor change the color of the tooth.
Tartar Control Toothpaste
If plaque isn’t removed promptly with correct oral hygiene, it hardens into tartar. This hard-to-remove deposit can build up on your teeth and under your gums, ultimately leading to gum disease.
There are a variety of ingredients used in toothpaste to help prevent the accumulation of tartar on the teeth. Toothpaste containing several anti-plaque agents in one formulation has been shown to be more effective at tartar control than varieties with only one.
Toothpaste Ingredients For Sensitive Teeth
While most toothpaste has similar basic ingredients, some contain an extra active ingredient to treat specific problems such as sensitive teeth. If you suffer from sensitive teeth, here are two ingredients to look for:
1. Potassium Nitrate: Potassium ions help to prevent nerves in your teeth from sending signals to your brain triggered by certain stimuli, such as sensations of hot and cold.
2. Stannous Fluoride: Yes, our good friend fluoride! Stannous fluoride reacts with your tooth enamel to produce a repairing or robust layer over the vulnerable areas of your teeth..
If you suffer from sensitive teeth, visit us at Comfort Dental Centre and we can help identify the underlying causes of the discomfort in your teeth and treat them before recommending a toothpaste that’s best for you.
As soon as your child has a tooth that appears through their gums, they should start brushing. It’s also critical to choose a safe toothpaste that meets your child’s needs. In addition, when choosing a perfect toothpaste for your little one make sure that you understand the ingredients they contain and if they appeal to children.
The level of fluoride that is safe for children varies by age, so also be sure to discuss that with your Comfort Dental dentist.
Make sure your child likes the taste of their toothpaste! The better the toothpaste tastes to them, the more likely they are to brush well!
Talking to Comfort Dental Centre
There are, of course, other toothpaste options as well, including natural and gingivitis-fighting brands, and if you have any questions about your teeth and the toothpaste you should be using, we recommend you give us a call! We will be happy to help you choose the proper toothpaste for your dental situation.
Convenience, Care, and Commitment at Comfort Dental Centre Buderim
Our goal is to provide the highest quality of cosmetic, restorative, and preventive dental care, in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, with a commitment to excellent customer service. From toothpaste to cosmetic dentistry our team is unlike any other health care office you have visited!
We are conveniently located on Wises Road near the Sunshine Motorway with convenient parking and we are open six days a week!
Special Offer for New Patients
- PAY NO GAP – NO GAP for Check-up and X-rays (with any health insurance)