Choosing The Right Oral Surgeon For Your Condition
If your dentist recommends that you need the services of an oral surgeon, it might seem a bit overwhelming at first. But oral surgeons are highly trained and skilled doctors and dentists, and with a little planning and research, you can be sure to choose an oral surgeon that is right for you.
At Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, we can perform many services in our office, and if not, we are here to help you with recommendations on where you can get them done.
What is an Oral Surgeon?
If we think about it at all, many of us consider oral surgery to be a dental specialty. This is partially true, but the type of work done by oral surgeons is often much more complicated and intricate than what a general dentist does. In fact, many oral and maxillofacial surgeons have degrees in both dentistry and medicine and all of them have undergone training above and beyond dental training.
Why Might I Need an Oral Surgeon?
While a traditional dentist is good at keeping your teeth healthy, keeping your oral hygiene optomised, maximising the beauty of your smile, and many restorative treatments, sometimes a dental problem requires a more complicated surgical response, by an oral surgeon.
A range of dental and medical conditions may require surgery, including:
- removal of impacted, damaged, and non-restorable teeth
- reconstructive surgery after removing tumours from the face, neck, jaw, or mouth
- temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
- infections of the oral cavity, salivary glands, jaws, and neck
- oral mucosa, such as mouth ulcers
- jaw surgery to realign the jaws (orthognathic surgery)
- dental implants, and the regeneration of deficient bone and gum tissues
- structural abnormalities involving the mouth, neck, or face
- congenital defects (cleft lip and palate and jaw growth problems)
- oral cancer (removal of tissue or tumours for biopsy)
- facial injuries including facial lacerations, intra-oral lacerations, and fractured facial bones
- cosmetic dental procedures (such as chin and cheekbone enhancements)
Facial and oral abnormalities can interfere with your ability to function normally and can affect every part of your life. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons have the skills required to restore your function and appearance, but more importantly, your ability to live a normal life.
How Do YOU Pick a Specialist?
When it comes to choosing an oral surgeon, there are a few things to take into consideration, including experience, training, and referrals. Here are a few specific things to keep in mind as you look around.
- Your Dentist’s Recommendation. Your dentist knows your history and case, making them a great resource in finding the right surgeon. Call up your dentist’s office for a referral.
- Recommendation From Friends and Family. Someone you know may have had experience with a surgeon they particularly like.
- Experience and Training. Try to find a surgeon who has extensive training and experience in the field and who has substantial experience performing your particular procedure.
- Professional Memberships. Find out if your surgeon is a member of any professional organization. Does he or she have any awards or recognitions?
- Insurance and Payment Plans. You’ll also want to make sure your insurance will cover your treatment with a particular surgeon. If you don’t have insurance or your plan only covers part of a procedure, find out if there are financing options.
- Consider Customer Service. People want to go where they are most comfortable, listened to, understood, and where the doctor and the staff take a personal interest in them as a person and patient. So be sure to ask for recommendations, listen to the experiences of others, and even visit an office to see how patients are handled.
How to Search? Google It!
The Internet provides a great way for patients to research and understand their own condition, and to find a specialist that they feel will meet their needs. Use search engines like Google to find reviews of oral surgeons. The websites of oral surgeons can also give you a glimpse into what treatment might be like in their office. Look for good organization and complete information. Review sites such as Yelp can also be quite useful.
When using the Internet, do take things with a grain of salt. Look for reviews that have details and full narratives.
And then, when your Internet research is done, be sure to visit any potential oral surgeon before making an appointment.
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim Cares
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim provides expert care for healthy, beautiful smiles, for you and your loved ones! We serve patients from Buderim and surrounding areas with top-notch dentistry. Our dental practice in Buderim provides the highest quality of dental care, in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, with a commitment to excellent customer service.
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim is your trusted Sunshine Coast dentist!
Interest-free payments with zipMoney Mediplan
zipMoney allows you to spread the cost of your treatment with flexible interest-free payments on your own terms.