Dental health week is here again from the 7th to the 13th of August. This year focuses on “Oral health for busy lives”. Although we all get caught up in life, it is very important to make time to look after our oral health.
Dedicating a little more time each day to brushing, flossing, keeping hydrated and eating well will ultimately save time and money. But most of all, it keeps our overall health in good shape and gives us the energy we need when life bowls us a spinner.
Keeping a hectic schedule has become the default way of life for many of us. But with some planning and preparation, you can maintain healthy eating, healthy, living, and regular exercise habits, despite your busy days. In fact, staying healthy might actually energize you and help you better juggle your time and responsibilities!
Comfort Dental Centre has some suggestions to help you balance your busy schedule and oral health.
Why Should I Care?
Australian health statistics show that 90% of all dental disease is preventable, yet dental decay is a significant and costly health issue amongst adults and children.
In fact, tooth decay is the most common health problem affecting Australians. It is five times more prevalent than asthma in children and is the second most costly diet-related disease in Australia. Each year Australians develop a staggering 11 million newly decayed teeth.
This decay and bacteria buildup can lead to additional health problems as serious as heart disease and infection. Taking care of your mouth now, means more healthy time later, to work or play as you please.
“Housing” Good Teeth
The first step is a healthy oral hygiene routine at home! Your routine should take less than 5 minutes, but can potentially save you hours, weeks, and days, in the future.
Brushing Your Teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes, spending an equal amount of time (30 seconds) in each quadrant of your mouth.
Flossing Your Teeth. Floss ALL your teeth once a day. Follow the curve of your teeth to avoid damaging your gums.
Cleaning Your Tongue. This is an underused technique. Use a toothbrush, floss, or tongue scraper to clean the surface of the tongue.
Mouthwash. Mouthwash can be a powerful ally in dental health. Sip a bit of mouthwash and swish it around in your mouth for 30-40 seconds. Spit it out and you are done!
Good Nutrition Is KEY!
Good nutrition doesn’t just benefit your body—it can keep your teeth and gums
healthier, too! And healthy people don’t waste as much time sick, or visiting their doctor or dentist! Because healthy nutrition can be fit into your existing schedule, it takes no more time than eating that junk food.
Here are some tips:
- Choose nutritious foods. The next time you find yourself craving chips or cookies, reach for something nutritious instead. Fruit, veggies, yogurt and cheese contain calcium and other nutrients that help strengthen teeth and protect them from decay.
- Drink water, not soda. Sweet drinks coat the teeth with sugar, which promotes cavities. Water helps to neutralize acid and rinse away food particles, protecting teeth from decay.
- Eat sweets in moderation. Do we really need to explain this one?
- Limit alcohol consumption. Excessive drinking can reduce saliva flow, which can lead to dehydration and dry mouth, leaving you vulnerable to tooth decay, gum disease and mouth cancer.
Oral Hygiene on the Go
Learn to take care of oral hygiene wherever you are, on the road, in the office, at your kid’s game or recital. To do this, create an oral hygiene “travel kit.”
Your kit should contain the following:
- Travel-sized toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash. You might want to have a toothbrush holder to keep your toothbrush free from contact with other stuff in your bag.
- Sugarless gum. Chewing gum can be helpful in neutralizing acids from drinking and eating highly acidic foods.
- Floss for a quick there’s-something-stuck-in-my-teeth remedy.
If you have special needs such as braces or dentures, they should also be addressed in your kit.
Regular Checkups At Comfort Dental Centre Save Time and Teeth!
Our commitment is to saving you time and fitting your schedule. For your appointment convenience we are open until 7pm on Thursdays, and offer morning hours on Saturday. We also offer emergency dental services and “Instant Booking” for less pressing issues.
Comfort Dental Centre is modern and efficient – we will get you in, treated, and out of our office on schedule!
Convenience, Care, and Commitment at Comfort Dental Centre Buderim
Our goal is to provide the highest quality of cosmetic, restorative, and preventive dental care, in a quick and professional way, with a commitment to excellent customer service. From toothpaste to cosmetic dentistry our team is unlike any other health care office you have visited!
We are conveniently located on Wises Road near the Sunshine Motorway with convenient parking and we are open six days a week!