Staying healthy during the holidays is not always easy. We are surrounded by rich and sugary foods, and with all of the present-wrapping and card-writing, there’s not much time to devote to you and your family’s health.
To help you out, Comfort Dental Centre Buderim has partnered with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to come up with tips for maintaining your dental health during the holidays.
We’ve put together 4 great tactics to make an advent calendar dental-smart as well as 8 bonus tips to make your holiday seasons a healthy and happy one for you, your loved ones, and their teeth! Together we can make this holiday festive, fun, and full of healthy smiles!
A Healthy Advent Calendar
Don’t use candy for your calendar, instead, match and mix the following:
- Sugar-Free Trinkets – Find some simple trinkets to fill each day on your calendar instead of candy. The dollar store is a great place to find fun items without spending a fortune.
- Holiday Stories – Visit a second-hand bookshop or your local library, and pick up 24 holiday-themed books. You could also get creative with this option, and write a few stories and poems of your own. Wrap each carefully in paper, and assign each one a date. Then have your child find a book each evening before bed for a memorable bedtime story experience.
- A Puzzling Treat – Give your child a fun challenge with a customized puzzle. Draw a picture or write a message on a blank puzzle. Break the pieces apart and place one puzzle piece in each day of your advent calendar.
- Holiday Activity Fun – For each day of the month come up with a fun holiday activity that you can do together as a family. Write down the activity on a slip of paper and tuck one note into each day of your advent calendar.
Bonus Holiday Tips!
- Don’t use your teeth for anything but chewing and smiling. For some people, teeth not only chew food, but are also used to open packages, tear tape, cut the ribbon, and perform many other tasks that teeth aren’t designed to do. This holiday season, use your teeth for what they’re meant for – chewing and smiling. Anything else will put your oral health at risk or a dental emergency.
- Dip into veggies. At holiday events, avoid the Christmas cookies and brownies and instead fill your plate with veggies. Broccoli and carrots are great treats for your teeth because they’re loaded with Vitamin A!
- Give up on grazing. At the holidays, we often have spreads of food left out for hours at a time. But eating all day puts your teeth at greater risk for decay and eventually, toothache. Instead of leaving out things to nibble on, only put out food at mealtimes and then put the food away. When you’re done, your teeth will thank you!
- Have a routine. Santa’s elves brush their teeth two times a day, for two minutes, and so should you! They also floss daily, sometimes with the reindeer! It’s what keeps a mouth healthy in December and all year long. Finally, be sure to use a toothpaste recommended by your dentist.
- Take more turkey. One holiday food that’s wonderful for teeth is turkey. It’s chock full of phosphorus and protein – both of which can help your body fight tooth decay and keep your teeth strong and healthy.
- Give an ‘electric’ gift. Consider an economical and effective electric toothbrush for stockings this year. Electric toothbrushes rotate 3,000 to 7,500 times per minute and can remove hard to get to plaque. High-tech electric toothbrushes come with apps that play two minutes of music, track your habits, and offer oral care tips!
- Watch the wine. If you like a nice red, just remember how it can stain your teeth. White wine is less of a risk to your white smile. If you do drink red, do so with food to mitigate how much of it gets on your teeth. Be sure to brush well if you do indulge in reds.
- Drink Water. Sometimes, when we feel hungry we just need to drink some water to rehydrate. Provide family and guests with plenty of water to help balance out all of the seasonal food and to wash away any sticky, sugary gunk that might stick on teeth. Prepare different ways to flavor ice water, such as peppermint leaves or freshly cut lemon wedges for variety.
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim, Your Trusted Dentists In Buderim
Comfort Dental Centre Buderim provides expert care for healthy, beautiful smiles, during the holidays and beyond! We serve patients from Buderim and surrounding areas with top-notch dentistry. Our dental practice in Buderim provides the highest quality of dental care, in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, with a commitment to excellent customer service.
PAY NO GAP for checkup and X-rays (with any health insurance)
Same day emergency appointment guaranteed